Academy of Music
176, Montague Street, Brooklyn, NY
Designed: Leopold Eidlitz
Opened: January 15th, 1861
Destroyed (fire): November 30th, 1903
The Academy of Music on Montague Street was inaugurated on January 15th, with a program including Mozart and Verdi. Mercadante’s Il Giuramento, the first opera performance, appeared one week later with First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln in attendance.
After the fire of 1903 the Brooklyn Academy opened is new home on Lafayette Ave (Fort Greene), where it stands today.
Photo credit: Collection of the Brooklyn Historical Society (permission sought).
Related: Theatre Talks (blog)