Opened: January 15, 1861 (Leopold Eidlitz, designer)
Destroyed (fire): November 30, 1903
The Academy of Music on Montague Street was inaugurated on January 15th, 1861 with a program including Mozart and Verdi. Mercadante’s Il Giuramento, the first opera performance, appeared one week later with First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln in attendance.
After the fire of 1903 the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) opened is new home on Lafayette Ave (Architect: Fort Greene), where it stands today.