Tuesday, January 17, 1882
The English Renaissance
The Times (Philadelphia), Jan 18, 1882, 2
Our Philadelphia, Elizabeth Robins Pennell.
J. B. Lippincott, 1914, 347.
250 South Broad Street, (below Locust), Philadelphia, PA
Built: 1881 (Addison Hutton)
Opened: January 5, 1882, 12 days before Wilde's lecture
Destroyed (fire): May 27, 1893
It replaced: Samuel Sloan's (original) Horticultural Hall on the same site (July 1867-January 31, 1881, fire)
It was replaced by: (New) Horticultural Hall (Frank Miles Day) on the same site (b. 1894-96, demolished 1917)
Many thanks and appreciation to Mark Samuels Lasner (Senior Research Fellow at the University of Delaware Library) for his work in identifying this location, and for confirming the building chronology of the various Horticultural Halls (see feature below).
The first three were on the same site on Broad Street.
The fourth was part of the Centennial Exhibition in Fairmount Park.
The First Horticultural Hall
250 South Broad St. | 1867-1881
The Second Horticultural Hall
250 South Broad St. | 1881-93
WILDE LECTURED HERE
The Third Horticultural Hall
250 South Broad St. |1896-1917
(Frank Miles Day)
Horticultural Hall in Fairmount Park (1875-1955)
Part of the Centennial Exhibition
(Hermann J. Schwarzmann)
The Aldine Hotel
1910-1922 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA
Original building built: 1848-1851 as the home of Dr. James Rush
Rebuilt: 1875—77 as a luxury hotel (Yarnall and Cooper) for J.B. Lippincott
Demolished: mid 1920s
Expanded: 1895 (Addison Hutton); the taller expansion section to the right is extant
Print and Picture Collection, Free Library of Philadelphia
Copy of Wilde’s Poems (1881) signed in Philadelphia, January 1882.