Oscar Wilde In America

DETAiled verification of Oscar Wilde’s lecture tour of North America



The Pavilion

Monday, June 19, 1882

The Decorative Arts


Newspaper report

The Galveston Daily News, June 22, 1882, 4

The Pantagraph (Bloomington, IL), June 21, 1882

Newspaper notice

The Decatur Daily Republican, June 21, 1882, 3


The Pavilion

East side of 21 Street at the beachfront, Galveston, TX

Opened: April 1881 (Nicholas J. Clayton, architect)

Built for: the thirteenth Texas Saengerfest, April 18-22, 1881

Capacity: 5000

Destroyed (fire): August 1, 1883


Wilde's lecture venue in Galveston had a short lifetime: it was destroyed by fire less than two and half years after it was built as the state's first building with electric lighting, and just over a year after Wilde lectured there.

The two photographs of the Pavilion below were taken concurrently. On the left a crowd gathers for an occasion for which a scaffold has been erected on the beach. On the right*, presumably later as the crowd has grown, we can see a high-wire performance.

* This photograph is sometimes shown reversed, but the towers of the building were on the left when viewed from the beach.


(New) Tremont House *

Corner of Tremont and Church Streets, Galveston, TX (now 23rd and Avenue F)

Built: 1871 (Nicholas J. Clayton, architect, for the Galveston Hotel Company)

Opened: February, 1872

Closed: November 1, 1928

Demolished: December, 1928

The view northeast from the roof of Wilde's hotel, before 1890.

Recommended reading:

Ebook cover Oscar Wilde On Dress  by John Cooper
Oscar Wilde On Dress hardback cover by John Cooper
Ebook cover Oscar Wilde On Dress  by John Cooper
Ebook cover Oscar Wilde On Dress  by John Cooper
Ebook cover Oscar Wilde On Dress  by John Cooper

Author | Interview | Sources | Blog | Walking Tour NYC

Oscar Wilde In America | © John Cooper, 2022